OBJECTIVE: Students will brainstorm a list of possible topics for a given performance task.
#28: brainstorm: personal essay points possible: 25
Life-Lesson Generating PRACTICE
1. Start by generating a list of things that have taught you a life lesson. Generate your list silently until my timer goes off. Think about your proudest moment, the moment you are most ashamed of, your happiest moment, a scary moment.
* I need to stop putting myself at the bottom of the pile.
* If I give to myself first (time, rest, love), I have more to give to others.
I don’t have to let my past define who I am today.
2. REVISING THE LIST: THE BEST PERSONAL ESSAYS COME FROM STORIES.
Revise your life lessons. Cross out ones that don't come from stories. Cross out ones that will be difficult to write a personal essay about. Then add more to your list.
3. Choose three of your life lessons that you think would be best to write about in a personal essay. In each box, briefly tell me the story that lead to this life lesson.
Closure: Reflect on the following: